
When I was younger I hated Mother's Day. Not that I hated my Mother, but I hated the idea of only one day a year to honor her. I remember being a teen, and sitting in Sacrament, dreading the talks on Motherhood. I think I have heard everything from personal testimony of Mothers, to examples Mothers of the scriptures.
Little did I understand, at the time, how important Motherhood is, and how essential a Mother is in one's life. Some of us had had our dear Mothers taken away from us, much too soon. Other Mother's may have estranged children, that will have nothing to do with them. Some Mothers, may have issues, and just simply aren't there for their children. Motherhood does not come with an manual at childbirth. We all learn through trial, and error. Case in point.
Sunday (Mother's Day) started out pretty rough. Having 9am church does not help, especially if your children got to bed an hour later than usual. Kate woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and cried, as I bathed her, and when I combed out her hair.
We sent her to get dressed , then finished her hair in a nice bun, to which we added these really cute chopsticks( she usually loves these!) We walked to church and as we sat in the pew, she started crying again. I asked her "why are you crying?" the answer was a pitiful " I don't know.." After about 30 minutes into the the meeting, she was still crying, and I had had enough. We went out in the hall, and the guilt card was played. "Kate, do you know what day it is?" "No." "Well it's Mother's Day, and you are ruining it. I said it very quietly, and she immediately stopped crying.
Now some of you are saying, Wow, Amy, you really handled that wrong! Well,it was that, or a full-on yell fest, because I was at the end of my rope.
Guess what happened? She stopped crying! She finished out the rest of the day without tears, and even helped clean the house, and made dinner once we got home.
I didn't have to lift a finger. I even got to lay in bed, and read a book, undisturbed. Derek and the kids bought me a CD of music, a DVD to watch, and fixed me a nice steak dinner.
I wonder if I will ever get the hang of this Motherhood thing....

0 comments:
Post a Comment