My brother in law put in several square foot gardening beds this year. Since we helped with the project, he promised us some fruits of our labors. One day, Derek came home with this huge bag of collard greens. Being the Southern girl that I am, I immediately found a Paula Deen recipe for the greens.It was a little time consuming, but the results were well worth it.
First, I cleaned and "stripped " the greens form the stalks. Then I rolled up the leaves, and cut them into 1/2 slices. I then took some smoked ham hocks (you can leave these out if your Vegan) water, and some spices, and boiled them for 1 hour. Yes, I know this sounds weird, but it is what gives your collards that Southern taste. After an hour, you add the greens, butter, and cook them for another 45 minutes. The result was as good as any greens I have had in a Soul Food restaurant. Yum!

0 comments:
Post a Comment