Okay, what does everyone have planned for Thanksgiving? I would love to hear it. We are staying close to home, as Derek is on call at the the Hospital for this holiday weekend. I'm still planning on a full festivities- turkey, corn bread stuffing, cranberries, green bean almondine, sweet potatoes, rolls, and Apple Butter Pumpkin pie( more on that later!)
I have to say this is probably my favorite meal of the year. Usually the hospital provides us with a bird, but this year it is a Petite Jean Ham( which is processed right here in Morrilton), but I'm just not a ham kinda gal. So it will probably be put in our deep freeze for later( ham does freeze right????) I'm hoping you all have a nice day planned with your family and remember , we have so much to be grateful for.
Well on the home-schooling front, we are planning on switching from the ARVA academy program to traditional home-schooling as of Jan 1. Lydia and I have been so stressed on this program. They cover too much, too fast, but it has had some good points too. It is a good program for new home-schoolers who aren't quite ready to cut ties with public school. Your are still accountable to a board-certified teacher, and you are required to take attendance. I like the schedule of core classes everyday- Math, Spelling, Vocab,Lit, American History, with the alternating subjects of Science, Music, and Art. I want to make learning fun again and not a drudgery.What do you remember the most from your schooling? Probably something you really enjoyed! I want the home-schooling memories to be pleasant ones they can look back on with fondness, not frustration!
My old Greenie was having some problems and we had a great deal practically fall into our lap. We ended up geting a 2004 Toyota Sienna( our old one was a 98' Sienna), with leather and a DVD. My children beg me to put a movie in every time we go some where. We made a rule though, no watching unless the trip is more than 30 minutes. Today we went to Little Rock to do some shopping at Sam's Club( omgosh, it was crowded!) and they were thrilled they got to watch 2 movies..lol..kids.
Here is my recipe for the month.This is from Miss Southern Belle herself: Paula Deen.
Try it its easy, just one extra thing to add to the traditional recipe: Apple Butter :)
Mine will look nothing like this btw...

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
1 cup apple butter
1 cup apple butter
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl. Stir in eggs. Gradually add milk and mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set.
Cook's Notes:
-If the crust begins to burn, place tin foil around the crust and lower the temperature of the oven.
-A tasty topping for this pie is praline pecans.

6 comments:
Looks like a yummy recipe, I will have to try it. I like your new car... So fun to get something new. And good luck on the home schooling. We are home for Thanksgiving and 3 of our children will be here with their spouses. We are excited!
can you just get apple butter at wal-mart? I will have to try it. we are also home, Kevins sister and her family are coming.
yep, you can get it at Walmart or Kroger. I know for sure Kroger has their store brand, that's what I used :)
MAureen, you lucky dog! Im sure you will have a great holiday :)
We are going to see family for Christmas... yahoo!
I'm going to have to try that pie, it looks so yummy!! I like the new van.
I'm not brave when it comes to trying new recipes. I have to taste it first at a potluck or gathering of some kind before I become brave in that area. I'm glad you and others are :) Good luck with your homeschooling. The first year is the hardest by far. My advice - PRAY about curriculum before you purchase. I spent lots of $$ before I realized the Lord knew my children better than I do. He is the BEST educational (and any other) couselor. :)
I'm anxious to find out what you all think! Sometimes pumpkin pie has that bitter aftertaste, this doesnt.
Dana- I agree with you, there is so much out there to choose from. You NEED help to narrow it down..
Post a Comment